Sunday, October 21, 2012

Tiramisu Torte






Tiramisu Torte is a little bit more time consuming than its Italian Tiramisu predecessor which is traditionally made with store-bought lady fingers. For the torte, not only are you tasked with stirring the custard until it boils, and whipping the fresh heavy cream until it forms peaks, you'll also have to make the torte cake layers.





Friends ask me how I have the patience to produce all the elements of something like Tiramisu Torte. So I'll tell you my secret:  You already know I'm a personal chef and I'm always in my kitchen.  Well, I've set up TV/Roku in there so I can watch Netflix movies while I'm working. Not only am I a movie freak, the time zooms by and before I know it, I'm done.  If you spend a lot of time in your kitchen, it won't seem like work if you're being entertained at the same time -- it's a great place to catch up on all those movies you've been meaning to watch.


I usually make the torte layers and the custard the day before.  The next morning before assembly, I brush the cake layers, fold the ricotta into the custard, and whip the cream, It's then assembled and refrigerated several hours until serving time. Refrigerating several hours is a must for any Tiramisu, to allow it enough time for the flavors to mellow and meld.  Tasting it right after you've assembled it, will elicit the "yuk" factor.  It simply isn't good until next day -- and even better two days later.

I developed this version of Tiramisu Torte with rum, but I've successfully made it with rum flavoring, with little or no noticeable difference.  I also re-developed it, as I've done with almost all my recipes, for quick prep, i.e.: cake mix, and ricotta instead of mascarpone.  

As I've mentioned before, I throw things together with the greatest of ease and comfort in the kitchen, seldom measure anything and my recipes are seldom written -- they are generally recorded in my head.  In light of that, tweak any of them to your liking.  Make your cake layers from scratch, use any kind of liquor or flavoring you prefer (orange liquor or extract is also wonderful in Tiramisu), and make the recipe your own.  So here we go....
 
TORTE LAYERS
Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare pans: Spray two 11" removable bottom tart pans, or two 12" aluminum pizza pans. Line with cut out parchment paper circles, spray well again, dust with flour.
 
1 box white cake mix
4 egg whites (save yolks for custard)
1/2 cup 2% or whole milk
1 stick melted margarine
NOTE: margarine produces a softer layer than butter, thereby absorbing the coffee/rum mixture better.

Beat above with electric mixer about 3 - 4 minutes until well combined. Spread in the two tart pans or aluminum pizza pans. 
Spreading the batter on two 12" aluminum pizza pans

Bake at 350 about 18-20 minutes for tart pans, about 13-15 minutes for pizza pans. You are only baking until center springs back when gently touched. Cool in pan on racks.



If assembling torte next day, allow the baked torte layers to sit at room temperature uncovered on the cooling rack overnight.  NOTE: Never chill baked Tiramisu Torte layers before assembly, or they won't absorb coffee/rum mixture optimally.






CUSTARD
6 egg yolks
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup 2% or whole milk
1 lb whole milk ricotta
Whisk all except ricotta in medium saucepan, place over medium heat, and whisk continuously until mixture boils.  Boil gently 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Allow to cool a few minutes, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator at least a couple of hours, or overnight.  

Before assembly, remove chilled custard from fridge and fold in ricotta as show in photo above.
  


WHIPPED CREAM
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar
With electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla until thick.  Add sugar gradually and continue beating until stiff peaks form.  Refrigerate until assembly.


ASSEMBLING THE TORTE
Carefully flip the two cake layers so bottoms are facing up. Remove parchment paper.  Mix 3/4 cup strong coffee or espresso with 1 tsp sugar and 2 T rum (or substitute), brush evenly over the bottoms of the layers. 















Spread bottom layer with the custard/ricotta mixture.


Top this with the whipped cream.  Flip remaining layer over so top is now facing up and carefully slide onto torte assembly.


Before dusting with Cocoa

Dust with unsweetened cocoa. Chill several hours or overnight to allow flavors to mature, mellow and meld. Enjoy with a cup of strong coffee. Perfect ending to an Italian dinner.


NOTE:  I don't offer a rating system on my recipes, as I invite you to tweak them and change them to your liking.  Bon Apetit! ~Jo 

Finis 




2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious except for the coffee. I'll just take a jar of lemon curd. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lady can have as much lemon curd as she wants. Dickinson's is the best brand -- little square jar. I had forgotten you can't have caffeine!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! ~Jo