Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ask Jo!

Ask Jo! is a column written by Jo White, Interior Decorator, DIYer, Personal Chef, Exterior Designer & Garden Planner, and avid birder.  You may send your questions to blairsvillager@gmail.com, or ask them on facebook.  All questions will be answered, and some will be chosen at random to appear on either/or Blairsvillager.com and Facebook.  Although each question will be answered with a professional solution, a lot of light humor will be injected just for fun!


Saturday, February 1

A wonderful fellow interior designer from Arkansas contacted me today.  I know exactly how she feels -- we designers can quickly address other people's decorating challenges, but sometimes have trouble addressing our own!  I've always thought it's because we're exposed to so much, love too many styles and ideas, that it's hard for us to zero in on anything for ourselves.  I experience that more that I'd want to admit!

Designer from Arkansas wrote:

Love visiting your space on the net, Jo.  I found you through a referral on HOUZZ and was pointed in your direction.  I too am an interior designer and I bought this little cottage when my mother died in October.  I moved from a BIG house to this little house and less than 1200 sq. ft., but the inside is wonderful.  It was built in 1948 and recently completely renovated with 9ft. ceilings, two bedrooms, two baths, and a huge kitchen with island.

Am providing you with a photo (private) -- I love the inside and the location, but I really, really dislike the OUTSIDE as it is now.  How can I make this little place darling -- I can take other people's projects and do wonders -- but my own house leads me to complete FRUSTRATION!  PLEASE, please, please give me the help I need so I can move beyond my "stuck" position.  Can this house be saved????

JO WHITE:

Always nice to brainstorm with a fellow designer!  First, I want to say how sorry I am about your mother.  I post funny stories and photos of my own little 85 year old mother on my JO WHITE facebook wall.  We Southern girls really love our Mommas, don't we? I know you are missing yours.

Thanks so much for visiting my site, and YES! -- by all means -- there are a few simple, inexpensive things you can do to the exterior of your cottage, in keeping with cottage charm.

1) I would keep the front door black, but paint the shutters white, and paint your covered concrete porch black or white, or a black and white pattern similar to the one I used on Dove Cottage (click on Dove Cottage above).

2) I would then install trellises on either side of the porch, such as these Black Expandable Bamboo Trellis -- and grow morning glory, climbing roses, wisteria, or clematis on them.  On either side of the front door, in your black planters, drop in planted azaleas, inpatients, or hosta, with an ivy underplanting, that will take a little shade, since they're on the covered porch.  These changes will draw the eye to your front porch entry to make it the focal point.

3) If you want window boxes, I would keep them to the windows on either side of the front door portico, again, to keep the focus in that area.  I've been recommending (to great applause) attaching two galvanized aluminum buckets under each window, so all you have to do is drop already-planted flower baskets in them from the retailer or nursery, and you can change them out for different seasons or a different color plan.  You don't have to plant anything, and if something dies, lift the basket out and replace it.  You can paint the buckets white, or leave them the silver aluminum color.  It's a great alternative to narrow window boxes!

4) On the front window on the opposite end from the entry, I would hang an attractive awning, possibly in a black and white toile.  The beauty of this, is an awning is the simplest thing in the world to make -- It's a hemmed flat piece of fabric run on rods, with extension arms -- (see the striped one I made for Dove Cottage).  This can be cut from a table cloth or shower curtain, and if needed, can be treated by spraying with a clear coat finish -- it's simple!

This will be a good start -- you're a designer, so all you need are a few guidelines, and you can let your imagination take you the distance.  I'm so excited for you to have such a lovely cottage -- I'd love to see pics after you've done a little work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ~Jo