Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rolls Rustica

Ready for the oven -- a sheet of Office Gourmet Crusty rolls.

I get more questions about my famous Office Gourmet fresh-baked European style rolls than almost anything else I cater.  I can be on-site at a catering job and before I'm completely unpacked, people are coming in begging for rolls.  I've learned to make extra.


 

The rolls are proofed uncovered on commercial half-sheet pans overnight to get the best rise and yeast development.  The number of rolls on the pan determines the size of the finished product.  Southerners prefer a more delicate roll, and cover their rising breads and rolls with cellophane wrap which prevents them from forming a crust.  A European style roll has a flakier crust that's a little bit al dente (resistant to the teeth), and is more rustic in quality.


Just before the rolls go into the oven, I use a little spray bottle of  I Can't Believe It's Not Butter to coat them for better color and to help the seeds adhere.  Then I grind a good quality Sea Salt (like the one at right) over them, and sprinkle them with either poppy or sesame seeds, and sometimes both.  One more quick spray from the little bottle, and into the oven they go.



The rolls are baked at 350 for exactly 16 minutes -- no more, no less, and come out of the oven golden brown and so fragrant with yeast, your head swoons.  I tweaked them for nearly three years before getting them exactly the way I wanted them --- a crisp, flaky al dente crust, and a delicate, tender inside.  The best of  both worlds.  Great warm from the oven with plain unsalted butter or honey butter.........and great later in the day as a 4-bite sandwich roll. Now you know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ~Jo