Saturday, November 24, 2012

Decorate Like a Pro, Part 2


DECORATE LIKE A PRO: PART 2: LIGHT & DARKNESS
I've often wished I could talk with Thomas Edison, and explain to him how I feel about overhead lighting.  Since I can't, I'll share my thoughts here.

We've all said:  They're as different as night and day.
And if you're describing people who are complete opposites, you're correct -- night and day are as different as you can get, because like black and white, night and day are polar opposites.  We can't exist without both of them.   A world of total light, or total darkness, would for us, be unnatural.  Our universe supplies us with both: sunlight for day; darkness and shadow for night.

Polar Opposites #2: Light and Darkness

In decorating, we bring those polar opposites home, through lamp lighting.  Like the room that is more comfortable and inviting with the use of black and white, the use of lamp lighting gives us areas in a room that are in vignettes of light, and areas that are in shadows.  Subconsciously, that's more inviting and comfortable to us.  It feels natural.

When I'm working in my kitchen (I'm also a personal chef and in the kitchen a lot), I use overhead light.  I don't like it, but a working area has to be uniformly lit.  There are no dark/shadowed areas -- just uniformly dispersed light.  When I'm cooking for myself, or entertaining, that's a different story.  Those are the times I want the kitchen to have a warm glow, because it's inviting, cozy and comfortable, and natural.  I have several small lamps on the counters and sideboards there, and with lamp lighting, I can create a romantic mood, or a festive mood, or a relaxing mood, or any mood I choose.  You've all done that when you have parties.  But the reason lamp lighting can alter your mood, is because of the polar opposites of Light and Darkness. 

People look better in rooms that are lamp lit.  Overhead light has no place to shine but down.  It hits the ceiling and bounces down.  Because of this down cast light, the lines of your face will also look downcast. People look older and more haggard with downcast light.  Lamp lighting is softer because of the shadow effect, so faces look softer, rooms looks softer, and your world is more inviting.  So turn off the overhead light, turn on the lamps, and change your appearance and your mood from edgy to relaxed.

Below is a photo of my bedroom with the overhead light on, complete with little Tea on the bed -- she's 11 years old and 5 lbs soaking wet.




And here is a picture of the same room with the glow of lamp lighting, but no overhead light.  See the vignettes of light and darkness/shadows?



In the second photo, I've created a softer, more warm and inviting mood with the use of lamp lighting, and the polar opposites of Light and Darkness.  You'll also see the Black and White polar opposites in play here as well (See Polar Opposites #1: Black and White in post below this one).  There's a white night stand, an ivory bench, a black bed and ebony night table.  And Tea must like it.  Her eyes are lit up as well!

Next time:  Polar Opposites #3: Up and Down


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! ~Jo